This Chinese Chicken Salad is a crunchy salad dream with tons of sweet and savory flavor. Perfect for lunches and dinners, and the leftovers save well to pack the next day.
almond butter sesame dressing:
- 3 medjool dates pitted and softened if necessary by soaking in very hot water for 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups slaw mix
- 1 cup Purple cabbage shredded
- 1 bunch Scallions green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Raw cashews or almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup Mandarin oranges check labels for Whole30
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper
Prepare the dressing:
Place all ingredients in a small, powerful blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is extremely thick, you can add a tiny bit of water until it reaches desired thickness. Cover the dressing and place it in the refrigerator while you prepare the salad.
Prepare the salad:
- In a large serving bowl, combine the slaw mix, cabbage, sliced scallions, nuts, cilantro, and mandarin oranges. Set aside while you cook the chicken.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil or ghee. Pat the chicken dry and season all over with the onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the sizzling skillet and cook 5-7 minutes on the first side, adjusting the heat if necessary to get a nice golden brown crust. Flip and cook another 5 minutes on the second side, until deep golden brown and cooked through. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165° F.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Once it cools for 1-2 minutes, slice it or cut into bite size pieces. Arrange over the salad, then toss with as much dressing as you like, or, serve the dressing on the side if you prefer. Makes about 6 servings.
Nutrition per 1 serving (recipe makes 6 servings)