A healthy and filling bowl of BBQ chicken, sweet potatoes, & coleslaw. Surprisingly simple and quick to make but packed full of flavor. Another great recipe to use the instant pot and a staple in Coach Emily’s household.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/4 pounds
- 3/4 cup BBQ Sauce (look for a low sugar variety or check out this recipe if you want homemade)
- 2 tablespoons Italian dressing (See Note)
- salt to taste
- OR about 2 1/2 cups shredded BBQ chicken or pork
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- dash of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon avocado or refined coconut oil
Quick Dill Pickles
- Sprig of fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 English cucumber sliced thin
- Pinch yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- OR 1/4 cup sliced cold dill pickles of your favorite variety!!
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon white apple cider, or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 14- oz bag shredded coleslaw mix
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Dry BBQ seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Make sweet potatoes: On a baking sheet, toss all ingredients and roast for 20 m. After 20 minutes, stir well, then return to oven. Bake another 10-15 minutes or until browning on edges but not too crunchy or crisp.
- Make the pickles: While sweet potatoes roast, combine all pickle ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make BBQ chicken: Next, combine all ingredients in an Instant Pot. Seal and cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release when time is up then shred chicken breasts with two forks or use a hand mixer on low speed. Turn on Sauté mode and heat for 5 minutes until chicken is coated in sauce. If you do not have an Instant Pot, see Note for regular shredded chicken or slow cooker directions.
- Make coleslaw: Mix all ingredients besides coleslaw mix in a small bowl. Place coleslaw mix in a medium bowl and pour dressing over. Combine well, using hands if desired.
- Assemble bowls: Divide sweet potatoes, BBQ chicken, and coleslaw evenly among 4 bowls. Top with a couple pickle slices. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
- Cooking chicken in a Crockpot: Combine all your BBQ chicken ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook covered on High for 3 hours or Low for 5 hours.
- To make without a slow cooker or Instant Pot: Shred 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts with two forks, then place in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cover with 3/4 cup of BBQ sauce and stir until chicken is heated through and sauce is absorbed. Add more sauce if desired.
- If you don’t have Italian dressing for BBQ chicken: Substitute 1 1/2 tablespoon oil, 1/2 tablespoon white or white wine vinegar, and a small pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Using store-bought pickles instead of homemade: Use high-quality cold pickles, not the bright yellow sort from the aisles. (Our favorite is Clausen)
Makes 4 servings