Simple chicken tacos topped with an easy and flavorful avocado-cilantro sauce. Awesome for a weeknight dinner or for a crowd.
Chicken Taco Meat
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- salt if your taco seasoning doesn’t contain it
- 1 avocado peeled and seeded
- 1 medium jalapeno stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- salt to taste
- 8 tortillas flour or corn
- queso fresco crumbled
- red onion diced
- fresh cilantro chopped
- avocado sliced or diced
- other toppings as desired
- In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients and stir. Don’t add water. Cover. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or cook on high for 3-3 1/2 hours.
- Shred the chicken breasts with a hand mixer or with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the Crockpot if you shredded it by hand. See Note for more detail.
- Stir shredded chicken together with the sauce. Cook uncovered on high 30 minutes or on low 60 minutes.
- Make the avocado-cilantro sauce: combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until very smooth with additional salt to taste.
- Heat tortillas. By microwave: wrap all tortillas in a couple of very lightly damp paper towels and microwave about 20 seconds or until warm. By skillet: heat a medium or large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat until warm. Working one at a time, add a tortilla and cook until light brown spots appear on the bottom side, about 15 seconds. Flip and repeat, cooking about 15 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas, covering in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Make tacos: use tongs to portion shredded chicken into warm tortillas. Drizzle avocado-cilantro sauce over. Top with crumbled queso fresco or shredded cheese, chopped red onions, or other toppings, as desired.
Nutrition, per one serving. Recipe makes 4 servings.
Carbs: 40 g