- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast or thighs (recommend 1 lb. of each)
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s Red Hot or Sriracha)
- 1/3 cup ghee, coconut oil or butter
- 3 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne (optional – adds more heat)
- 8 small baked sweet potatoes (about 7 oz. each uncooked)
- Ranch dressing
- Place chicken in a slow cooker set on low.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and optional cayenne. Stir together and heat until ghee is melted.
- Pour the sauce into the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on low or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with sauce.
- Turn slow cooker to warm (or remain on low) until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken in baked sweet potatoes and drizzle with buffalo sauce and ranch, if desired.
Instant pot directions:
- Follow the instructions as written (placing the chicken in an Instant Pot instead of the slow cooker) through steps 3.
- Set the Instant Pot for 15 minutes on high pressure.
- When time is up, naturally release for 10 minutes before unlocking the lid and shredding.
How to bake a sweet potato (perfect for stuffing with buffalo chicken!)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash potatoes and pat dry. Rub with ghee, coconut oil or butter and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 45-60 minutes or until fork-tender. Baking time will depend on the size of the potato.
- Remove from the oven and serve or cool and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
We like to serve Shredded Buffalo Chicken stuffed in a sweet potato and drizzled with ranch with a side of your favorite veggie. It makes for one satisfying and mouth-watering meal. It can also be served in a regular baked potato depending on your preferences!
If you’d like something a little lighter, we recommend serving it in a lettuce leaf or on a bed of greens and of course with a drizzle of ranch.
Feel free to substitute a pre-made buffalo sauce such as Primal Kitchen in place of the hot pepper sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder and cayenne. Use your favorite Ranch dressing or make your own cleaner version!
Buffalo Chicken only (no sweet potato or ranch dressing): 221 Calories, 13 g Fat, 3 g Carbohydrate, 22 g Protein.
Recipe creates 8 servings