Just realized I’ve been training in CrossFit for 8 years . Definitely a lot of lessons learned. Here are some things I wish I had known when I first started:
- Spend more time getting stronger and building muscle than trying to get lean. Muscle & strength take a lot more effort and time to build. I am happier with how I look with developed muscles rather than being skinny
- Perfect movement and technique before loading a ton of weight on the bar.
- There’s a difference between going hard and going for broke. Going for broke will just get you broke.
- The basics (nutrition, sleep, recovery, stress management) ALWAYS matter.
- If you want to get really good at something, get a coach, invest in their time and yours.
- Everyone pays their dues in time: setbacks and hard work.
- Stay in your lane. Focus on what’s important for you rather what someone else is doing.
- Be patient and keep showing up even if you don’t see steady progress.
- Learn to love the process, it makes for a more enjoyable journey.
- Surround yourself with awesome people who share your values and will push you to be your greatest.
- Be grateful for what you have instead of dwelling on what you don’t have.
- Have fun and love what you are doing… or do something else.
That about wraps it up. What are some things you’ve learned or wish you knew when you first started? Maybe in another 8 years I’ll have some more wisdom to share. Until then, let’s just keep learning and taking it all in together.