Need an easy fix to sub in come healthy sides at Thanksgiving? Never fear, this lightened-up green bean casserole is here to help you save room for pumpkin pie!
- 2.5 lbs green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2.5 cups low fat milk
- 1.5 cups whole wheat bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425
- Toss green beans in bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and divide into two baking sheets
- Roast green beans for 20-25 minutes until tender
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in saucepan over medium heat
- Add onions and cook until soft. Add flour and salt. Add milk and keep stirring until sauce is thick (for about 4 minutes).
- Once green beans are done being roasted, preheat oven to broil
- Transfer half green beans to baking sheet then cover with half the sauce. Layer other half of green beans and cover with the rest of the sauce.
- Combine bread crumbs and remaining oil into a small bowl and sprinkle over green beans.
- Place green beans in the oven on broil for 2-4 minutes, watch until breadcrumbs become brown at the top
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving